Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Advent Calendar

At the end of Christmas last year I found this advent calendar at Michael's for just a few dollars.  I wanted to use it this year but I didn't want to just put candy in each box.  I wanted to incorporate the Christmas story.  Well thankfully at the church Breakfast in Bethlehem they had those paper chain scriptures on the table so each day I just put the strip in the box with a piece of candy.  The advent calendar is a photo frame too but instead of putting a picture in it I just put red paper in it and then used a dry erase marker to change the number every day. 
The first night Virginia was so excited.  We started it on the 4th so I had her read the # and then fine the right box.  She opened it and I read the scripture and she got the little dollar store bracelet for that night. She was so polite and said thank you.  Then she said let's open #2.  She them commenced to open each box looking for more treats.  Luckily I was smart enough to NOT fill the other boxes ahead of time!
I'm also showing our "new" Christmas tree.  Our other tree you have to put each branch on individually and then string the lights.  I thought with Chris gone this year I would get a pre-lighted tree.  I got a really good deal on it but honestly I think it's not the best looking tree.  Our "old" tree definitely looks better.  But I really didn't take the time to separate and fluff the branches on the new tree so there are some pretty big holes.  And I had to shove the cross on the top and it's crooked.  Virginia hasn't bothered it at all.  


No comments:

Post a Comment